Monday, September 30, 2013

Dropping the Bomb

Well, I finally did it. We had fast and testimony meeting in church on Sunday and I told everyone that I was almost done. When people asked how long I had been out I generally had been saying that I had been out for a little over a year and a half. I finally told everyone that was a bit of an understatement. I did it in a funny way so it all worked out.

I was reading Michael's letter and I think I finally understand how ya'll have been feeling for the past two years. I read about all the amazing people he has been teaching and his days and I was a little sad when the letter ended. I want more. I want to know who these people are. So now I kind of know how you feel a bit more Mom and Dad. =)

But anyway- this week was a very busy one. We were really blessed this week. We went on a few trade-offs which I really enjoyed. One with 1st Ward and another with the Spanish Elders. Elder P got some really good experience from it. He might not want me to include this but it was rather funny. He was out tracting with the other two Spanish elders while I was doing Spanish things with Elder E. He was looking at a house and admiring the color of the house when the door opened unexpectedly. The man came out and Elder P, caught off guard, said something akin to "Hello sir. I like your colors." It was pretty funny. =)

We've taught many lessons this week. The car makes things pretty easy to just go from house to house and appointment to appointment. We've really been blessed to have our plans work out.

Probably one of the coolest experiences of the week was J coming to church. It was very unexpected and it kind of surprised me really. We had met with him a few weeks ago and he wasn't really interested. We decided to text and invite them to church that morning and we got the response, "will try". Then we came and he was there! It was really amazing. J told us how he had been listening to President Monson talking in the Relief society broadcast from lds.org that morning and he had really felt the Spirit or as he described it, "this feeling came over me" and right then the phone buzzed asking them to come to church. It was really cool. =) I think he enjoyed it but it was kind of hard to tell.

The trade-off with Elder C on Tuesday was pretty fun. I is a member who is preparing to go on his mission to Poland in November so he's pretty willing to come out with us. We had a good time and talked to some nice people. We'll see what comes of it. =)

My day of Spanishness on Wednesday was also fun. Elder E is a great guy that really made the day fun. The funniest things of the day was a long lesson with a very nice guy named Mario. I was looking at the clock which read 1:05 and wondering why I was so hungry. We had just had huevos y peros caliente (eggs and hotdogs- it's better than it sounds) around noon. It was only when we left that I realized it was about 4:00 and the clock in the kitchen was actually stopped. Later in the evening (after dinner) we visited a really nice family (they didn't speak much English but somehow my broken Spanish actually worked pretty good and I was able to remember a good bit). They gave us macaroni and some water. I felt bad but I am glad I accepted it. I forget that in the Hispanic culture, it's really good if you accept what you are given. Then I ate a really really hot pepper. It was hot, and painful. More macaroni and Sunny D helped but as soon as I swallowed, it was hurting again. It was fun though and after an hour or so I was back to normal. Elder E is very funny and I enjoyed my time with him. Just a very humble guy but has a lot of talent and ability (he's a crazy good guitar player and singer).

It's been an awesome week. I'm really happy with everything the Lord has seen fit to give me and I'm just grateful for the opportunities He gives me.

Spiritual thought!

The Savior has asked us to be the salt of the earth. The important component that makes the world nice. We preserve it as the righteous. The important thing for us is to avoid contamination. For if the salt should lose it's saltiness wherewith shall it be salted? It is good for nothing but to be cast under the foot of men. By staying true to the Savior, we can remain pure so that our saltiness can affect the lives of others and make the world a better place.

I apologize I haven't taken more pictures. I do feel kind of bad. =(

I miss y'all but life is good. =)
Elder Matthew Carlson

No comments:

Post a Comment