Monday, October 7, 2013

The Last One

Reading other missionaries last letters home and seeing other missionaries headed home makes you wonder how it will be. What will I say? What will be my final memento and message to friends and family back home as a young, full-time missionary? The moment finally arrives from the far off distant scene that you never thought would come.

The truth is you don't know. It's just crazy to think that this is the last one. We've been working hard and this week has been a very good one and I'm just very happy right now (I received some great news about a family I worked with in Tifton. I'm just super excited).

I'm really enjoying things here in Warner Robins. The ward is friendly and supportive, our district is made up of all great missionaries, and the Spanish Elders are awesome. I honestly can't think of anything that would make it better. Maybe more people to teach but I guess I always want those. =) Things are good. Life is good. Because God is good.

I don't mean to keep you all waiting so I'll get on with the week.

For Monday and preparation day we decided it might be fun to play a board game so we played Bibleopoly. It was a pretty fun game and I enjoyed it. It was like monopoly but instead of trying to get money you were trying to build a church and you got offerings as you passed "in the beginning" (otherwise known as Go)

My birthday was really fun! We ate a lot of food though. It started kind of scary as Sister C called- I wasn't quite sure what she was calling about but it turned out to be just to wish me happy birthday. She is really sweet. She kind of a bit reminds me of Mom. We picked up Elder F and Elder C as we were doing an unorthodox tradeoff that day and went to Firehouse. The original plan was for me to go with Elder F in the 1st Ward area but then Elder C was sick. So the decision was made for Elder C to stay at a member's house to rest while Elder F, Elder P, and I worked in the two areas so we could keep both of our appointments. It was an pretty good day though. We went to Firehouse and really enjoyed a delicious and free sandwich. We had dinner at the R family who made us cake since it was Elder F's birthday as well. It was funny as she had asked what my favorite type of cake was on Sunday and I don't think I have a favorite type- cake is pretty good. When we finished dinner (a very good taco salad- I'll make it for y'all sometime) we said "Elder Carlson I remember what you favorite type of cake was!" I was rather surprised as I didn't remember what my favorite type of cake was so I was a little curious to find out. She said "Texas Sheet cake!" with a flourish. I didn't have the foggiest idea what a Texas sheet cake was. My best guess was a sheet cake cut in the shape of Texas. Elder C raised his hand as she brought out a large and very delicious looking cake and said "Actually Texas sheet cake is my favorite...". Sister R just said "Oh...well..." She is just so sweet and I reassured her and thanked her for her kindness. I just thought it was really funny and how sweet she was. The other fun things about my birthday was D called from Tifton, GA! That really made my day. They're doing well and somehow got my number. =)

Wednesday we had a tradeoff with the Spanish Elders and Elder C came with me. He was very excited to bike and we biked a good bit and had a very fun day. I just enjoy talking to him as he is very smart and well spoken but is very humble about it. He's just a great guy. Imagine Alex Thomson but from California and he sounds like he's from the UK.

Thursday we had a interesting experience teaching someone with almost no religious background. We went to our appointment with a very nice less-active (who's really active now at this point- she's making great progress!) and she had a friend there. We sat down and she said, "Teach him! Explain to him that I'm not crazy!". It was interesting and Elder P was sick and not really thinking straight. Analogies and the restoration movie really helped as there was nothing there for the information to stick to unless we applied it to his life or he could see it visually.

We had a big district meeting on Friday up in Macon. There was some great training- perhaps my favorite was where I was blind folded and given a laser pointer. The two other missionaries guided me through a maze to rooms in the church (there was a church on the board). It was compared to how we need to show people the church through church tours rather than just tell them about it. We had interviews with President Cottle which was nice. It wasn't very long- I suspect he saved a lot of the usual questions for next week. He did tell me to get a haircut (jokingly of course- it grew a lot this week and I was feeling pretty bad about it but decided to wait until p-day, don't worry, I got it cut today). It was a good day.

General conference was amazing! I really enjoyed all of it. =)

Sorry- I'm running out of time.

I apologize I do not have to profound words to offer. All I have to offer is these simple ones:

These past few years have taught me a lot- often by the hard times and sometimes by the good times. It's been an amazing blessing in my life, continues to be, and will be for the rest of my life. It's incredible to me to think but I believe that I know these things are true. The experiences I have had over these 2 years give me other rational explanation. I have seen the cause and the effect of obedience. Obedience will always bring blessings because God loves us. The Holy Ghost has told me this time and time again and I just have to trust in that and the experiences I've had. That is my faith (Hebrews 11:1). Trust in God and it will all work out. I've seen that too many times to doubt.

I love you all and wish you the best.

Elder Matthew Carlson

No comments:

Post a Comment