Monday, September 23, 2013

I wasn't born in the South, but I got here as soon as I could

Well, another week come and gone and it went by very fast.

I don't know if I can cover everything that happened this week but I'll try and cover some highlights.

We were on bikes this week but it was really nice as this week was cooler.

Funniest Moment: It was late Friday night and we had gotten in for planning. We called the D's to confirm the dinner appointment. I searched D on the phone. Richard D came up and he was the only one that said D. I called and talked about dinner. Sister D was excited to hear from us and I explained she had signed up. She paused for a moment and asked "Are you sure it's on the last Sunday of the month?" I looked. No one was signed up for that particular Sunday and told her that she was on Saturday. We talked a little while longer and she was pretty sure it was Sunday but she agreed to have us over and I apologized and offered to reschedule but she said it would be her pleasure to have us over. We looked over our plans and realized that with the way our appointments were and with no ride out there, it would be take a while to get there. We called her back and offered to reschedule. She once again said it was fine and asked if the Sisters would be coming as well. Elder P and I looked at each other and I asked "Sisters?" "Yes, the Sisters in the ward." "We don't have sisters in the ward. We have Spanish Elders". Then she asked, "Y'all are from Cochran Ward right?" We explained we were Warner Robins 2nd ward. We had a good laugh about it and apologized. It was kind of funny really. We called Sister D who said, "Oh good I've been expecting your call. 5 pm will work just fine". We had a great dinner and learned the Brother D was actually Asa's (one of my roommates in college) ROTC drill instructor. Small world eh?

Unusual Experience: The M's invited us over for dinner and they live on base. So we drove to the gate and handed them our id's and parked. Brother M met us there to help us get through and we all had to come into the gate station as they checked out our ID's and made sure we weren't bad or something. Sister M is actually from Thailand so she made some really good Thai steak as well as some lettuce shredded pork thing. There were also glass noodles that was really good (they weren't actually noodles made of glass but I can't remember the name of it).

Fullest Moment: The Spanish Elders have a tradition of going out to eat on weekly planning days. It helps break up studies and planning so it's not 6 hours of sitting and reading. Having seen Stevi B's pizza buffet in Tallahassee and Tifton and wanting to go but not quite making it there, I really wanted to go to the one here in Warner Robins. We ate a lot of pizza. The pesto pizza was pretty good as was the loaded baked potato. The Bavarian cream pizza was pretty good too. =)

Spur of the Moment Moment: We called K Sunday morning around 12:00 to invite him to church. He has just gotten off work and church starts at 1p. He had a lot on his mind but after a long phone conversation, we invited him to church. He agreed and started getting ready. We finished lunch and went to church with the Spanish Elders (all 5 of us in the Corolla- it's a little tight).

District Meeting: It went quite well. It was about finding and we really had some good conversation about finding. The Zone Leaders were there and afterwards Elder W (one of the Zone leaders) came on an exchange just for the day with us. It was pretty fun. He hadn't biked in a while so I felt bad for him. There's some pretty decent hills here and I ride pretty fast and Elder P goes even faster than I do.

Big Thing I've Learned: I read an excellent talk by Elder Bednar about being a Preach my Gospel missionary. It was excellent but the main thing I took away from it was that as missionaries we represent Jesus Christ and I serve Him. Everything we do stems from that one point. I love the white handbook when it says, "You represent the Lord in your proselyting area and are responsible for obtaining His direction in blessing the lives of the people there." (paraphrased).

That's pretty incredible when you think about it.

I do love y'all and I miss you. Take care!

Elder Matthew Carlson

No comments:

Post a Comment